These two words, so rarely put together in the same sentence really made me think about the beautiful interruptions that sometimes find their way into my days.
I needed to create a beautiful interruption. Something that would stop me from the endless to do’s and engage me in something different, something positive, something that allowed me to connect on a different level.
- when my son pops in after his night shift and has breakfast with me. I had planned to get work done, but this beautiful interruption allows me a rare chance to catch up with my grown-up boy, who hugs me tight and calls me Mommy. I’m so lucky he still makes time for me (oh who am I kidding, it’s just ‘coz I feed him!) 🙂
- when my seat mate on the plane is in a chatty mood and I really wanted to catch a much needed nap. I get to give someone the gift of an ear and I get to meet someone new.
- when my butt is sore from sitting in my office chair for too long and I hear my art supplies calling my name. I get to create something from nothing, even if it’s just for my eyes.
- when I get to visit my 91 year old Mom who sings along as Luke the Uke and I play her requests. I get teary eyed just thinking that one day I will lose my greatest fan. Meanwhile, I cherish each visit.
- when my youngest daughter feels like sharing – it’s rare and beautiful. It feels like a gift to be allowed into her world, to laugh together, to connect. Interrupt me anytime girl, I’m here for you.
- when the dogs whine and I bundle up to take them for a walk. I always feel grateful for getting out in the fresh air, even if I have to pick up poop!
- when I am in the middle of ‘things’ and my friend from across the border calls just to chat. I’d drop just about anything to connect with the magnificent friends I have.
- when an audience member seeks me out after a talk – my time on the clock is done but they feel compelled to share their story with me. They trust me, a stranger, with their story and I feel privileged to hear it.
- when my hubby wants to…. oh never mind. 😉 I am grateful he wants to spend time with me after three plus decades of being together.
Stephanie Staples, CSP* is the author of When Enlightening Strikes – Creating a Mindset for Uncommon Success, an internationally acclaimed motivational speaker, and the recipient of the 2014 Manitoba Woman Entrepreneur Award for Contributions to Community. Stephanie empowers audiences & clients across North America to bring their ‘A’ game to work and to life. Stephanie has a special interest in working with and empowering nurses and healthcare providers. She happily calls Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada home. You can get loads of complimentary resources to help with issues such as work/life balance, wellness, stress management and happiness in general, as well as find out more information about her coaching and speaking services at http://www.YourLifeUnlimited.ca.
* Certified Speaking Professional (CSP), conferred by the National Speakers Association is the speaking profession’s international measure of professional platform proficiency. Less than 10 percent of speakers have earned this credential and are recognized as some of the best in their fields. Stephanie was one of only five professional speakers in Canada (and the only woman) to attain this designation in 2013.