This week on CJOB and featured on the Your Life, Unlimited blog, I spoke with Tammy Guffey about her idea: PRE-Thank You.
Also on the show was Michael Bayer of Lean Consulting Group who talks about how he uses lean principles to help people become more efficient and effective in their workplaces.
Enjoy the whole show here…
Enjoy Tammy’s guest blog post here…
The main thing to remember about PRE-Thank You idea is that we are using gratitude to shift our thinking from, “How can you serve me?” to “How can I make your life better because we met?”
Here are a few more ideas (and scripts) on how to incorporate Pre-Thank you into your life on a daily basis:
- School: send a Pre-thank to your kids’ teachers/principals at the beginning of school.
- Work: send a Pre-Thank you to the event organizer of a conference or event you’re about to attend.
- Employers at the beginning of every day: mingle about your office and tell your employees “I’m glad you’re here today, thanks for doing a great job!”
- Association meetings: send the guest speaker a pre-thank you for coming to your meeting. They may be coming on their own dime – a little pre-thank you goes a long way.
- Applying for a new job? Send a pre-thank you for the interview that is about to happen.
- Restaurant: Pre-thank your server with a pre-tip and, “Thank you in advance, I know you’re going to do a great job.”
- Hotels: pre-tip your cleaning crew the first night that you stay instead of just at the end.
- Anyone that helps you with your bags – tip them at the beginning when you first meet instead of at the end.
- Family reunions: send a pre-thank you note to let them know you are grateful for their effort. People need to know that what they do matters. Be the one to spread goodness.
- Home life: On your way home from work, call ahead to let your family know you’re almost home. Thank them for all they did that day: “I know you did a lot of things today that I probably won’t notice, so I just wanted to say thank you in advance.”
- Ecclesiastical leaders: send them a random note in the mail to say thank you because their calling matters.
- Any person that you can think of that has a thankless job: be the one that thanks them and pre-thanks them.
Gratitude matters. To be great, be great-full. Appreciate your way to the top!
It’s more than a feeling or words – it’s action!
Send more ideas or stories of how pre-thank you has changed your life to [email protected]
Stephanie Staples, CSP* is the author of When Enlightening Strikes – Creating a Mindset for Uncommon Success, an internationally acclaimed motivational speaker, and the recipient of the 2014 Manitoba Woman Entrepreneur Award for Contributions to Community. Stephanie empowers audiences & clients across North America to bring their ‘A’ game to work and to life. Stephanie has a special interest in working with and empowering nurses and healthcare providers. She happily calls Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada home. You can get loads of complimentary resources to help with issues such as work/life balance, wellness, stress management and happiness in general, as well as find out more information about her coaching and speaking services at http://www.YourLifeUnlimited.ca.
* Certified Speaking Professional (CSP), conferred by the National Speakers Association is the speaking profession’s international measure of professional platform proficiency. Less than 10 percent of speakers have earned this credential and are recognized as some of the best in their fields. Stephanie was one of only five professional speakers in Canada (and the only woman) to attain this designation in 2013.