How old are you going to live to be? If I live to be 94, then I am exactly middle age – how about you?
This week we made the 8 hour driving trek to visit my Auntie Rose who lives all by herself in the same home she has been in for over 50 years. At exactly double my age (94), she is an amazing woman: strong, independent and determined.
I sure hope I inherited some of her genes and aspire to age as wonderfully as she has. Over the 4 days that we were staying with her I made some casual observations of what she was doing and came to the conclusion that her daily habits would benefit the majority of us that desire reach an advanced age in above average health. She:
- Does some thing active everyday (takes the stairs to and from her basement 4 x a day)
- Eats only when she is hungry
- Stops when she is full
- Gets fresh air everyday
- Enjoys her own company (she is not afraid to be alone and can amuse herself just fine, thank you very much)
- Treats herself well
- Doesn’t let other do for her what she can do for herself
- Listens to her body (stops when she is tired)
- Talks to herself to shake off her negative attitude when it pops up
How about we each pick one of Auntie Rose’s habit and make it our own?
Stephanie Staples, CSP* is the author of When Enlightening Strikes – Creating a Mindset for Uncommon Success and an internationally acclaimed motivational speaker. She empowers audiences & clients across North America to bring their ‘A’ game to work and to life. Stephanie has a special interest in working with and empowering nurses and healthcare providers. She happily calls Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada home. You can get loads of complimentary resources to help with issues such as work/life balance, wellness, stress management and happiness in general, as well as find out more information about her coaching and speaking services at http://www.YourLifeUnlimited.ca.
* Certified Speaking Professional (CSP), conferred by the National Speakers Association, is the speaking profession’s international measure of professional platform competence. Only the top 10 percent of speakers earn this credential and are recognized as some of the best in their fields.